Giving gift cards this holiday season? Learn how to make a cute mitten gift card holder to make your gift extra special.
We have a lot of family who live far away so holiday gift giving can be tough since we have to ship everything. The last time I sent my niece and nephews toys for Christmas, it cost $100 to ship due to the weight. Ouch! Since then I have learned my lesson and just send gift cards. Gift cards are inexpensive to mail and the recipient can pick out exactly what they want.
However gift cards can be so impersonal. So I always like to make a cute gift card holder to add a special touch to the gift. This year I am making these cute mitten gift card holders for everyone for Christmas. I just love how they turned out and they were so easy to make.
This project uses the fun Stampin Up Smitten Mittens stamp set. It’s so versatile – you can use this stamp set for gift packaging, cards, and so much more! All this week I am going to be featuring projects using this stamp set. You can check out the rest of the projects by clicking on the links below.
Mitten Gift Card Holder Supplies Needed
Smitten Mittens Stamp SetBetter Together Stamp SetMany Mittens Framelits DiesTrim Your Stocking Thinlits DiesBe Merry Designer Series PaperCardstock in Crumb Cake & Whisper WhiteInk in Black & Garden GreenCherry Cobbler Double Stitched RibbonLinen ThreadFast Fuse Adhesive
You will also need scissors and a glue gun.
So let’s get started!
Christmas Gift Card Holder Tutorial
- On a scrap of Crumb Cake cardstock, use black ink to stamp the Merry Christmas sentiment from the Better Together stamp set.
- On a scrap of Whisper White cardstock, use Garden Green ink to stamp the 2 small mittens from the Smitten Mittens stamp set.
- Use the cuff die from the Trim Your Stocking die set to cut out the Merry Christmas sentiment to use as a label for your mitten gift card holder.
- Use the small mitten dies from the Many Mittens die set to cut out the stamped mittens.
- Trim the top tab off both of the pillow box die cuts. This is needed to make the stocking pillow boxes, but not needed if you just want to make a regular pillow box. On one of the die cuts, trim off the side flaps.
- Fold all the tabs in, taking care to follow the curves on the top flaps that are used to close the pillow box.
- Use hot glue on one of the side flaps and stick it to the other die cut pillow box piece. You want to make sure that you have one of the tabbed flaps on top and one on the bottom when you glue everything together. This will make it easier to open up the gift card holder.
- Add hot glue to the other tab and glue to the other side to form the pillow box.
- Cut a piece of mitten pattern paper (from the Be Merry Designer Series Paper Pack) to 3″ x 6″.
- Adhere the mitten paper around the pillow box. The side with the closing seam will be the back of your pillow box.
- Add your gift card to the pillow box and close the top and bottom flaps.
- Cut an 18 inch length of 1/4″ Cherry Cobbler Double-Stitched Ribbon. Tie around the pillow box to hold the flaps closed.
- Adhere the Merry Christmas label die cut to the pillow box. You want the bottom of the die cut to be about 1/2″ up from the bottom of the mitten paper.
- Cut a 4″ piece of Linen Thread.
- Apply some adhesive to the back of one of the mitten die cuts and stick one of the ends of the Linen Thread to the adhesive.Stick to the top left side of the Merry Christmas label.
- Twist the thread slightly to form a loop. Add adhesive to the other mitten die cut and stick the other end of the Linen Thread to it before adhering the mitten to the right side of the Merry Christmas Label.
The nice thing is that the person receiving the gift card doesn’t have to ruin the mitten gift card holder to open it. They just need to untie the ribbon and open one end.
Pin this Christmas Gift Card Holder Tutorial for later:
I had so much fun making up a bunch of these mitten gift card holders to use for Christmas gifts for family this year. While you are here, be sure to check out the rest of my Christmas crafts featuring the Stampin Up Smitten Mitten Stamp Set.
If you missed any of the other Smitten Mittens projects, you can check them out at the links below.
- Christmas Gatefold Card
- 3 Mitten Gift Tag Ideas
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Matchbook Treat Holder
- Christmas Mini Pizza Box Hot Cocoa Favor
So tell me… Do you give a lot of gift cards for Christmas? How do you package them? Be sure to leave me a comment below and let me know. I would love to hear from you!