It’s so easy to make handmade gift bags using the Gift Bag Punch Board! This tutorial shows you how to make a sweet little gift to give to a friend or family member who is sick or is going through a rough time.
The patterned paper looks a bit like raindrops so I thought it went perfectly with the umbrella and rain cloud stamps in the Weather Together stamp set. You can also get the coordinating die set so you don’t have to mess with cutting out all the pieces by hand.
I made mine as a get well gift bag and included a pack of tissues, cough drops, a packet of instant chicken soup, and some hot tea packets. You could fill them with whatever you want though – whatever will bring a smile to your friend’s face. Most people would love to get chocolate – just sayin’! Or maybe that’s just me 🙂
Size of the finished Rainy Day Gift Bag: 2″ x 3-1/2″” X 4-5/8″
Cut the paper
- Raindrop pattern paper from the Blooms and Bliss Designer Series Paper Pack: 6″ X 12″
- Island Indigo cardstock: 3-1/2″ X 2″
- Island Indigo cardstock: 3/4″ X 3-1/2″ then fish tail the ends to form a banner.
Then you will also need scraps of Smoky Slate and Soft Suede cardstock for stamping and a small piece of Crushed Curry Designer Series paper in the floral print.
Use black ink to stamp the following images from the Weather Together stamp set.
- Stamp the umbrella on the Crushed Curry patterned paper.
- Stamp the umbrella handle on the Soft Suede cardstock.
- Stamp the two sizes of clouds on Smoky Slate Cardstock.
- Stamp the “wishing you brighter days” stamp on the Island Indigo banner.
Using the Umbrella Weather Framelits Die Set, cut out the umbrella, handle, and clouds you stamped in the previous step.
Cut the gift bag:
Using the raindrop patterned paper and the Gift Bag Punch Board, make the large size of gift bag. There are instructions included with the Gift Bag Punch Board, but you can also watch the video I included earlier if you learn better visually.
Go ahead and punch the holes as directed and then crease all the fold lines. Cut the end skinny flap on the side at an angle at the top and bottom to ensure that none of the flap will show when you assemble the gift bag.
Decorating the gift bag:
- Adhere the handle, umbrella, and clouds to the front of the gift bag.
- Use Stampin Dimensionals to add the sentiment over the handle.
Assembling the gift bag:
- Apply Fast Fuse adhesive to the side flap and press to the other end to form your bag.
- Apply Fast Fuse adhesive to one of the bottom flaps. Fold in the smaller side flaps and then the larger ones, pressing to seal.
- Add the Island Indigo cardstock base that you cut earlier to the inside bottom of your bag to provide stability when you fill it. There is no need to glue it down. It will stay put without adhesive.
Adding the handles to your gift bag:
Cut a 24″ length of 1/4″ Very Vanilla Satin Ribbon. Starting from the inside of the front gusset hole, weave the ribbon in and out, leaving some slack on the front and back sides. This will be the handles. Tie the two ribbon ends in a double knot and adjust the ribbon so the handles are the same length. Hold the knot in place in the bag fold with mini glue dots. See the video near the top of this post if those directions don’t seem clear.
And that is all there is to making the Brighter Days Gift Bag.
Pin this tutorial for later:
If you have any or questions about how to make handmade gift bags, be sure to leave me a comment below. I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial!