This A Heart Full of Memories plastic canvas tissue cover pattern is easy to stitch and features spots for 4 of your favorite photos! Keep reading to see the patterns so you can make one for yourself or to give as a gift.
I designed this cute little free plastic canvas tissue box cover pattern for a Christmas gift for my grandmother one year. She loves displaying photos of her great-grandchildren all over the house and loves handmade gifts. So I thought it was the perfect thing to make for her.
This tissue box cover works up really quickly and can hold 4 photos. You can easily finish this project in an evening or two.
The finished plastic canvas project measures 5″x5″x5.5″. It fits a boutique tissue box (the square ones).
Using just 2 plastic canvas stitches (continental and gobelin), this plastic canvas tissue cover pattern is a great project for beginners. It uses just 3 colors of yarn and can easily be changed to fit the color scheme of any room. The cute little bows really accent the photos and the hearts on the top remind the recipients that it was a gift made with love!
I hope you enjoy it! It makes a great gift for grandparents. I have included the A Heart Full of Memories plastic canvas tissue box pattern below so you can make one for yourself or a loved one.
Materials Needed for this Plastic Canvas Tissue Cover Pattern
- 3 sheets 7 ct plastic canvas
- worsted weight yarn in white, light mauve, and mauve
- plastic canvas needle
- 1 yd mauve 1/8 inch ribbon
- hot glue gun
- 4 photos
Feel free to change the colors of yarn to match your decor. I would suggest white and 2 different shades of the color of your choice. I am planning on making one of these plastic canvas tissue box covers in shades of blue for my bedroom to match the quilt on my bed.
Having trouble finding plastic canvas in local stores? I can hardly ever find plastic canvas in my local craft stores anymore. So I buy my plastic canvas in bulk on Amazon.
Optional Tools for this plastic canvas tissue box pattern
Whenever I am working on a plastic canvas project, I find it helpful to have a sturdy needle threader and a plastic canvas hole/rib counter on hand. Trust me… having these 2 things on hand will make assembling this free plastic canvas tissue box cover pattern much easier!
Stitches used in this free plastic canvas tissue box cover pattern
The plastic canvas tissue cover patterns I share below use the continental stitch and the slanted gobelin stitch to create the design. They also use the whipstitch to hold the pieces together and the overcast stitch to finish things off. If you are unfamiliar with any of these stitches, be sure to check out the links below for free instructions from Annie’s Attic.
- Continental Stitch – the most basic stitch used in plastic canvas
- Slanted Gobelin Stitch – often used to fill large areas
- Whipstitch – used to connect two or more pieces
- Overcast – used to finish edges
Color Key for these plastic canvas tissue cover patterns
A Heart Full of Memories Plastic Canvas Tissue Box Pattern
Tissue Box Top – 31 holes x 31 holes
- Cut out the tissue cover top according to the graph.
- Stitch the tissue cover top according to the graph.
- Overcast the inner opening in white yarn.
Tissue Box Side – 31 X 37 holes
- Cut 4 tissue cover sides according to the graph above.
- Cut 4 rectangles 31×37 holes that will be used for the backing. These will be left unstitched.
- On each side piece, stitch the white continental stitches surrounding the inner frame and overcast the inside edges.
- Using a side piece as a template, cut your photos to fit inside the frame. (You will want each photo about 1/8 inch larger than the opening.)
- Line up a backing piece with a side piece. You will now be stitching through both the side and backing pieces to form the frame for your photos. Stitch the slanted gobelins along the sides and bottom of the framed area. Before you stitch the top, insert a photo. Stitch the top slanted gobelins. Repeat for each remaining side piece.
After you have finished stitching the plastic canvas tissue cover patterns as directed above, it is time to assemble it…
- Whipstitch the sides to the top, using mauve.
- Matching the colors of the stitching, whipstitch the sides together.
- Overcast bottom edges using mauve.
- Cut 4 – 6 inch pieces of ribbon and tie into bows. Hot glue to the sides above the photos, using the picture below to assist with placement.
And that’s all there is to it. I told you this plastic canvas tissue box pattern would be quick and simple!
Pin this free plastic canvas pattern for later:
Like this pattern? Be sure to check out the rest of my free plastic canvas patterns while you are here!
I have made this plastic canvas tissue cover pattern many times as gifts for grandparents and relatives and they are always well received. If you make any of these A Heart Full of Memories plastic canvas tissue box covers, you will have to come back here and let me know how they turned out. I would love to hear from you. So tell me… what have you been creating lately? Happy Crafting!